Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Tour of Barquisimeto

Friday, July 11
I made arrangements with Juan, who works for the Segoviana hotel, to take me on a car tour of Barquisimeto. This is the hometown of Gustavo Dudamel and is the 4th largest city in Venezuela with about a million inhabitants. It's the capital of the state of Lara and is sometimes called the "Musical Capital of Venezuela".
We first headed to the airport to see if there was a flight to Merida. (There wasn't!)

Pictures of my Barquisimeto tour.

The Obelisk (Famous Landmark)


New (1969) Cathedral and its carillon

Government Building

Plaza Bolivar

Plaza Bolivar

Here we are driving through Barquisimeto. Just a clip of normal Venezuelan city views.
Enjoy the ever-present music!


More Pictures!

Here's the Plaza Bolivar in Barquisimeto with it's great Bolivar statue on horseback.
(and me, not on horseback!)




Another church plaza with a Bolivar statue.
That's my driver, Juan, inside the church.
The guitar player was in a tourist center off of the Simon Bolivar Plaza

1 comment:

jill.baller said...

Dad, the pictures look great and I'm really enjoying the commentary!! Can't wait to see more! Love you!